Technically it's been out for a week but I really wanted to set up the itch.io page before announcing properly. So yes, it's been over a year since I released anything related to Pioneers. Some of you might have thought I quit but I didn't. There were long gaps in development however and the summer of 2014 saw very little development. My work really drained all the energy to work on anything else.
The release of the latest build was mainly motivated by IndieCade East 2015 where Chris Dwyer from Junklatch showed the game among others. That one week before that was a crazy crunch mode pulling 14-hour days to get stuff working again. I completely broke the game after B6 when I started rewriting bits in Lua so I had to pull all the loose ends together. That means the story and the quests have not really progressed but the game is now much more stable. But of course there's also a lot of new content.
First of all, some screenshots to hint towards what's new:
There are tweaks..
- Tweaked the colors to be darker/deeper and more pleasant
- Cleaned up the sidebar (notice the circular character portrait)
- Made more of the texts closable at any moment (also clicking on animating texts will finish them)
- New sailing mode screen - no more sidebar, only the neccessary elements
- Changed adding and levelling up skills - you no longer need certain attribute points to add skills
..and there are new things
- Proper winter - anything you do requires more energy so you need to rest a lot more. Just rest out exposed to the elements and you'll perish quite quickly so you need to build shelters or find..
- Caves - Explore the subterranean areas. Right now the caves are bare but I will include gemstones and other valuables down there so you'll have a reason to wander around. Just don't get lost.
- Sheltering - Collect some wood a build a basic shelter if you don't have a proper construction skill. Once you do, you can build actual huts greatly improving your chances for survival.
- Cooking - Fish or collect meat from your defeated foresty foes and cook raw material to delicious cuisines.
- Swimming - Just jump right in and go where-ever
- And much more!
During winter your ship is frozen solid in the ice so no sailing. You can use the ice to travel on foot but if you're out on the sea when spring comes you're screwed. Protip: Use the autumn to collect firewood and fish or meat or you'll perish during the winter.
You can get the latest alpha from itch.io. You may download it for free but I would greatly appreciate it if you would include a little support. I think this is the last build to be completely free, so starting with next releases there would be a small minimum price. I feel the game has developed far enough over these 3 years to warrant this.
I hope you enjoy this!