Build 7 released

General discussion of the game.
Eigen
Developer

Build 7 released

Postby Eigen » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:01 am

Technically it's been out for a week but I really wanted to set up the itch.io page before announcing properly. So yes, it's been over a year since I released anything related to Pioneers. Some of you might have thought I quit but I didn't. There were long gaps in development however and the summer of 2014 saw very little development. My work really drained all the energy to work on anything else.

The release of the latest build was mainly motivated by IndieCade East 2015 where Chris Dwyer from Junklatch showed the game among others. That one week before that was a crazy crunch mode pulling 14-hour days to get stuff working again. I completely broke the game after B6 when I started rewriting bits in Lua so I had to pull all the loose ends together. That means the story and the quests have not really progressed but the game is now much more stable. But of course there's also a lot of new content.

First of all, some screenshots to hint towards what's new:

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

There are tweaks..
  • Tweaked the colors to be darker/deeper and more pleasant
  • Cleaned up the sidebar (notice the circular character portrait)
  • Made more of the texts closable at any moment (also clicking on animating texts will finish them)
  • New sailing mode screen - no more sidebar, only the neccessary elements
  • Changed adding and levelling up skills - you no longer need certain attribute points to add skills

..and there are new things
  • Proper winter - anything you do requires more energy so you need to rest a lot more. Just rest out exposed to the elements and you'll perish quite quickly so you need to build shelters or find..
  • Caves - Explore the subterranean areas. Right now the caves are bare but I will include gemstones and other valuables down there so you'll have a reason to wander around. Just don't get lost.
  • Sheltering - Collect some wood a build a basic shelter if you don't have a proper construction skill. Once you do, you can build actual huts greatly improving your chances for survival.
  • Cooking - Fish or collect meat from your defeated foresty foes and cook raw material to delicious cuisines.
  • Swimming - Just jump right in and go where-ever
  • And much more!

During winter your ship is frozen solid in the ice so no sailing. You can use the ice to travel on foot but if you're out on the sea when spring comes you're screwed. Protip: Use the autumn to collect firewood and fish or meat or you'll perish during the winter.

You can get the latest alpha from itch.io. You may download it for free but I would greatly appreciate it if you would include a little support. I think this is the last build to be completely free, so starting with next releases there would be a small minimum price. I feel the game has developed far enough over these 3 years to warrant this.

Download here

I hope you enjoy this! :)
GnomeSlice

Re: Build 7 released

Postby GnomeSlice » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:46 pm

Really, just super happy to see this game back underway.

I really like all of the changes you've mentioned here, with the exception of this little bit:
Eigen wrote:During winter your ship is frozen solid in the ice so no sailing. You can use the ice to travel on foot but if you're out on the sea when spring comes you're screwed.

I could see the inland water bodies (ponds, lakes, etc) freezing up in the winter, but oceans don't freeze over, at least not in the real world. ;)
Wherebe U.

Postby Wherebe U. » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:29 pm

To GmomeSlice, I actually think the ocean freezing up in the winter is a pretty cool feature to the game. It forces you to stock up for and endure the winter in your current location preventing players from just heading back to town by ship and just letting the season pass. Now I really get anxious when winter approaches and I am still exploring, which I think is nice.
lifemare

Postby lifemare » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:48 am

Just found out about this game and just finished the second quest. Though, only after spending 3 whole seasons on Hios gathering 130 spices till i finally realized i had more than enough and that there was a tiny little button on the bottom right corner that allowed you to return to Marciudade (CitySea?). And although frustrating (easy is overrated anyway), never did it get tiresome, and, really, i can only blame myself for not figuring it out way earlier...

Currently stuck trying to find the shipwreck, so i thought i'd take a break and come to the forum to congratulate you on your awesome work developing this gem! Love everything about it and i'll be checking back often on its progress! Wish the brightest future for Pioneers and i hope, going forward, you'll have as much fun developing it as i did playing it. Thank you!
Blancanegra

Postby Blancanegra » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:49 pm

I spent the last weekend translating the game texts to Spanish, playing it now in my native tongue is a great reward. I'm enjoying the game a lot! :lol:

I want to make mention of few minor issues I've encountered and that can be common to translations into other languages. Looks like some text placeholders are not big enough or not properly defined:

In journal, long text for objectives are showing out of bounds:

journal-quest-objectives.png
journal-quest-objectives.png (27.29 KiB) Viewed 9693 times

In that case, a forced line break, wordwrap - or wathever you call it - would be enough. In first place I was wondering about if any undefined glyph in fonts was the problem. That happened to me first time I translated the narrative intro text using ¡ ¿ glyphs. During intro screens text was appearing fine but suddenly in one single line out of screen until a line break.

In "Tavern/talk to" window I though the text frame is not big enough:

talk-to.png
talk-to.png (5.05 KiB) Viewed 9693 times

Same thing happens in the showing window for the text "unidades ilimitadas" (unlimited units) buying water. The text breaks into 2 lines with bad placement. Maybe those windows can be a little wider?

A minor bug:
In the shopping window, if "pieces in stock" and "quantity to buy"=1, it says 1 pieces (plural) instead of 1 piece (singular). I checked the translated strings "format_suffix_piece" and "format_suffix_pieces" and are ok in both languages (en, es):

1-units-in-stock.png
1-units-in-stock.png (8.65 KiB) Viewed 9693 times
olijb

Postby olijb » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:28 pm

I need some help... this game looks absolutely amazing and fun, i have been trying to install it for the last two hours. i am not very good at this download stuff but i managed to get all the files from the main page, the problem? i try to open the game, and i get a message saying "sfml-audio-2.dll is missing" it then tells me to reinstall to fix this problem... iv'e reinstalled at least three times, extracted everything and i really couldn't find anything on google that could help me. please help! i want to play this awesome looking game!
Eigen
Developer

Postby Eigen » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:42 pm

Hi, what version of Windows are you running and is it 32 or 64-bit?
Workster

Postby Workster » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:04 pm

Is there any ETA on when Pioneers will be finished?
Eigen
Developer

Postby Eigen » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:53 am

Workster wrote:Is there any ETA on when Pioneers will be finished?

Not at this point. The time I can devote to this project is erratic sadly. I really hope to get the new build out soon as it changes up things quite a lot and I'd love to get feedback on it.

Return to “Discussion”