How To Pioneer

General discussion of the game.
MrMuffinMan

How To Pioneer

Postby MrMuffinMan » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:54 pm

Hello All!

I've been playing around on this game and really like the idea of it. I can't wait for more features but in order to make the most of what is available, this forum should have a tips/troubleshooting thread for features not in the tutorial!

Questions:

What can I do while exploring/ How do I climb cliffs?
Where are temples located?
How do i store water in a flask?
What are some event scenarios (Rats/pirates) and how do you find them?

Thanks!
MrMuffinMan
Eigen
Developer

Re: How To Pioneer

Postby Eigen » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:24 pm

Yeah, there are (and will be) a bunch of things that should go in a manual because it's impossible to describe everything in-game. But writing and compiling a manual and keeping it up to date is a massive task, for which I simply don't have time. But I dream of a thick printed manual in color, just like you used to get them with games.. :)

Maybe I should setup a wiki?

What can I do while exploring/ How do I climb cliffs?

To be honest, not much. I keep getting bogged down in technical aspects of things and actual game content often stays in the background. I must change that. Basically all you can do is explore, which is boring I know. There are villages to be found but you can't interact with them yet. To climb you must have the climbing skill. To climb up you just right-click an empty tile that has a cliff wall on it that is higher than you and choose the action from the list. To climb down you right-click an empty tile next to the cliff wall that is lower than you.

Where are temples located?

I couldn't tell you because the locations are randomized but since there are 1000 of them, they should be pretty much everywhere. To aid in locating them I've added 8 Guardian Eyes around them, so if you come across one of those you know there's one nearby. Here's what they look like:

As I said, there are 8 of these around. If you find one, it'd be wise to find another one to orient yourself in the direction of the temple. These 8 are placed like this.

As you can see, once you have two points, moving towards the center is relatively simple.

How do i store water in a flask?

You either use the fresh water barrels on the ship to fill it up or find a body of water out in the wild and right-click it to find the appropriate action. I will add smaller springs and whatnot in the future.

What are some event scenarios (Rats/pirates) and how do you find them?

Sorry, none of those yet. Rats only happen in town and it only relates to water.
MrMuffinMan

Postby MrMuffinMan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:57 pm

Thanks!

This was really informative, I was wondering what those seeing eyes were, but couldn't interact with them, so I didn't know.

Wouldn't it be cool if some things gave a one sentence response from the explorer?
Example: <Click on Seeing Eye> Explorer: "This statue is covered in an ancient script" / High Intellect Explorer: "These are ancient totems that were built for navigation to tribal temples"

Can't wait to see more gameplay features! :D
Zael

Postby Zael » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:29 pm

Greetings! May I inquire how to use flint to make fire? It only seems to offer me the two choices of either "Pray for lightning" or "Rub some sticks together", no matter what I do with the flint or where I place it. (Camp/inventory, use.)
(Another thing I'd like to know is where you get the "Construction" skill, but I guess I'll just try making n shelters and see if that earns it..)

I would agree that setting up a wiki for Pioneers is a wonderful idea. Searching on forums isn't really that pleasant.

Oh, and absolutely marvelous work on the game! (Managed to crash it though, so an autosave would be awesome.)
Eigen
Developer

Postby Eigen » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:35 am

I never got to implementing flint because it needs to be something that wears out and you can't use it forever. To balance that there should be a way to get more of it out in the wilderness. But there is none yet. Generally I try not to implement features that are totally unbalanced like that. But I think I should implement it now. Just need to add the ability to break down rocks with pickaxe to extract the stone resource. And some of the rocks contain flint as an extra resource. These rocks would probably need to lock a bit different so don't have to go and inspect every rock you find. Sounds good?
Zael

Postby Zael » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:50 am

Definitely! Though I believe in real life we just pick up suitable pieces from a pile in a rocky area/gravel. Like exposed cliff side.
Thanks for clarifying!

Return to “Discussion”